6.13.2014

Flora

I want you to give me flowers, but my sharp tongue makes the daisies clutch their pearls and the roses call me cynical.
I'd ask for carnations and orchids, but the former think I'm too excessive and the latter have always needed more than I could give them.
The succulents say I try too hard and the lilies tell me I wear too much perfume.
Baby's breath hasn't yet convinced me to be delicate and the tulips never asked for the broken.

I want you to give me the flowers that have never claimed me, but they rarely bloom at night and I'm awake for the witching hour.

I'm calling five AM bedtime and I'm calling you love, but you'll probably never know either of those things because I make up for the lack of sleep in the afternoons I don't see you and I can't really make up for the lack of love, but I guess that's what this cracking heart is for.

I know that I can ask for you until I'm out of nickels, but a wishing well is nothing more than an empty promise and in the moonlight you can see through its lies. The running water never understood why it couldn't wash away sin. 

You know that I've never kissed a boy when it mattered, but I want to kiss you just to prove that it still can because even stardust inhales when it looks into your eyes.

I don't really know what to do, though, and I don't really know how to tell you that I could be better with you than her because I don't even know who she is, but I'm pretty sure she doesn't know you as well as I do and you probably don't know her as well as you know me.

Don't let that stop you, though.

Buy her some flowers and tell her you love her. I've never been sure if they would feel more alive on the branch or in your hands.

I'd ask your opinion, but sometimes I question the validity of my own tongue and you'll never know that the world looks better in the rear view mirror than in profile because I'll never have the conviction to leave it.

I'll never have the conviction to leave you.


--Erin



4 comments:

  1. This whole thing is so lovely. I wanted to choose a line but then it was just the whole thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi. You're brilliant. " but I want to kiss you just to prove that it still can" yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes
    also being alive in his hands oh em gosh. and the ladst line ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. yes yeah yup.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "I'm calling five AM bedtime and I'm calling you love" mmmhmmmm erin, honey, yes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This whole post is AMAZING!!!!!! Oh my! Thanks for sharing the beauty that's inside that mind of yours!!

    ReplyDelete